Saturday, September 15, 2012

Some of the BEST things come in small packages


Walking into this project I knew that making a difference for someone was a big deal. I initially had my heart set on Children’s Miracle Network. That quickly proved to be very difficult, time consuming and required a lot of last minute free time. The two of my other group members suggested continuing the C.A.R.E. partnership. We discussed how much success was made in the previous and decided it would be more beneficial to keep and build onto that partnership. Going into this project, I was very worried about not having the required time and energy. After just one volunteer opportunity I have found that it is hard to not have energy when you are in a place that it so energetic. It is impossible to not ‘want’ to spend a morning interacting with cats, dogs, and even rats! What could be better than being greeted by a smiling Lillian at your door? For those who do not know, Lillian is an extremely loving, energetic, and happy Rottweiler who has stolen my heart. This dog smiles! I don’t think it would be possible to change my mind about working with this group; there is just so much positivity and so much to gain – Self-control (To not bring all the animals home) being the biggest. Going in on my first day, I was a bit on the nervous side. I knew I would be working with the animals but I didn't know exactly what to expect; I didn’t want to be stuck in the back alone doing the work no one else wants to do. Upon my arrival I was shown around the facility again and then was asked to help another volunteer finish up cleaning out the cages. Normally, I would not be too enthused about this. Thankfully, the other volunteer helped and talked with me the whole time, not to mention a little kitten that had so much to say throughout the duration of my stay. The hardest part about volunteering with the C.A.R.E. animal shelter is, knowing I can’t help them all. I can advocate for each and every one but I have to understand that I cannot take them all home and I cannot hold myself directly responsible for those animals that will spend months in the shelter. I would definitely say the best part about volunteering with this organization is the interaction.  I love animals and it brightens my day to spend a morning playing and taking care of them and also to know that I am making a small difference in their day as well. After spending all night in a small cage, it has got to be the best feeling in the world to have someone come, take you out, play with you, and really show you some love. This is going to be a great learning opportunity for me and even thought at times it may be hard, it is going to be way more than worth it in the end. Some of the best things come in small packages; this is definitely one of those cases and I highly recommend anyone who reads this to look into a C.A.R.E. shelter and see if they could use some extra help. I promise, you will not regret it!
~Kay 

No comments:

Post a Comment