Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dear Drury, Please Change the Pet Policy

When I first learned about the Summit Park Leadership Community, I thought it sounded like a really interesting experience unique to Drury, an awesome chance to make a difference, and that it would sound great on my resume! Last year, I made some friends who lived in Summit Park but I did not know much about it, and it was not until my group and I began the application process that I fully understood the opportunity to make an impact in the Springfield community. Throughout the year, I hope to gain invaluable experiences about what it is like to design my own community service project with other members of my group, and how to make it successful.

At our first leadership class, I was identified (along with two of my other group members) as a Gold. Gold people are organized, dependable, determined, clear-cut, and to the point. However, this project gives us an extreme amount of freedom, so it is up to us to figure out how to use our time and resources wisely. A lot of the time, Golds would rather do something on their own and know they do it right, instead of work in a group. But this project is not individual; it's a team effort, and luckily we have a Blue to mediate the three Golds, if necessary :)

I have been to volunteer at the shelter twice now; I go on Wednesday afternoons. When I first get there, I have been walking the dogs, which can take between 30 minutes and an hour. The first week, I was a little nervous when Nemo was jumping all over the place, I wasn’t sure how to get the leashes around them when they were so excited, and Bruno nearly took me  on a walk! But the next time, I was more comfortable and I knew what to do a little better. Other than walking the dogs, so far I have helped clean cages, do some laundry, and play with the animals! Sometimes there are times when I don’t really know what to do, and as a Gold, a lot of times I like to know exactly what to do and how to do it. I have to take some initiative and determine what to do with my time and make sure it is helpful.

The hardest part about this project is seeing all the animals confined to cages and knowing that I can’t help. I can’t imagine being stuck in a cage for weeks and weeks, and some have been there for many months. It does make it easier though, to know that these animals will not be killed because they are lucky enough to be in a no-kill shelter. I just want to do anything I can to help them find loving homes. Also, I wish Drury allowed pets in the apartments

C.A.R.E.'s Mission: Rescue as many adoptable animals from "death row" as we can properly care for. Provide medical treatment to sick or injured stray animals. Combine an aggressive spay/neuter program with a high volume adoption program while providing quality lifetime care for unadopted pets. Network with and provide a rescue service for other shelters, ultimately reducing the kill-rate in Southwest Missouri.

Our community adviser is volunteer coordinator Yoko Williams. In case you haven’t found our links off to the side, CARE’s Webpage can be found here and be sure to “Like” them on Facebook.

Caitlin and I are going to help at a mobile adoption this Saturday, be sure to stop by Petsmart if you are interested!

-Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment