Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Reflections


Reflect on why you chose to participate in Summit Park Leadership Community along with the experiences you hope to gain. Also, think about how you see this impacting your life.   You should be up and running at your sites so discuss how that is going and what struggles or successes you are having during this time and based on your leadership/personality style (the one identified during the first class), how you are responding.  Post who your community partner is and share their basic mission and provide a link to their website.  It is a chance for you to let others know what your group is doing and how the experience is impacting you personally. 

I first learned about Summit through a group of friends who were involved in it last year.  I thought it was really cool how they could volunteer and live in the Summit apartments.  After learning about it through them and seeing what the inside of the apartments looked like, I definitely knew I wanted to possibly try and do it my sophomore year.  I then got my suitemate Cathy on board to do it, and then she got Kayla, and Kayla got Deidre.  I was nervous about living with two other girls who I didn't know very well, but I was also excited for the new experience.  I hope that living with new people and in a new environment will help me learn how to work well with others, but also make new memories and friendships.

I see volunteering at C.A.R.E. as impacting my life in many different ways.  I currently have 2 dogs and 1 cat at home, and through volunteering at C.A.R.E I hope to gain an even greater appreciation for animals and making sure that they are treated well.  The neglect that animals can encounter by humanity is astonishing, and working with C.A.R.E. can help me learn about it and become more of an activist for animal rights.  Also, I think through volunteering with C.A.R.E. I will have more motivation to volunteer for other opportunities.  Volunteering is something that I wanted to actively be involved in when I came to college, and C.A.R.E. is a great way to start that.

In class, I determined my leadership style was gold.  I definitely want things to have order and be done in a certain manner.  My first struggle in volunteering at C.A.R.E. was volunteering in the afternoon.  In the afternoon, there is not a lot that needs to be done at the shelter except for playing with animals and cleaning up a few things.  This is a struggle for me because I want to always feel useful, and that I am working to the best of my capabilities.  However, this is also good for me to experience because it shows me that I do not always have to be working hard in order to be helpful.  The ultimate goal is to make sure the animals are cared for, and that includes emotional health as well.  

Overall, I am very excited for what this year has in store!  I have already wanted to take home some of the dogs and cats that are at C.A.R.E.  I hope this experience gives me new perspective on animal care and it will allow me to learn and work with new people and friends.

-Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment