Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Communication is Key

Communication is important in every aspect of life.  Therefore, consistently learning about ways in which we communicate and resolve conflict is important in order to remind ourselves that we always have communication skills that we can improve on. 


In the Conflict Management Style exercise, my top conflict style was the Accommodating Teddy Bear.  I think this style fits me well because I am more concerned about other people’s happiness more than my own.  I try to make sure that there is no conflict and that if there is, that it gets resolved quickly.  Lately two of my best friends have been fighting with one another, and I am trying to help them resolve it.  This is evidence of the “Teddy Bear” within me.  I want everything to be peaceful between everyone, however though this is not always possible.

I would say my greatest communication strength is being considerate of others because I value other’s opinions and feelings.  Making sure that you understand and consider other’s opinions and ideas is important for effective communication to take place.  I would say my weakest communication strength is not always effectively communicating my own opinion or feelings because I often will let my opinion fall to the wayside in order for others to be heard and matter.  This weakness is not good because it causes repressed feelings to sometimes build up and explode all at once.  This definitely affected me my freshman year of college because issues with my roommate arose late in the semester because I finally voiced my opinion and feelings that I had kept to myself. 

Communicating with my Summit group this semester so far has been going well.  However, in living with others conflict can always arise.  Ways that I can better communicate with my group is making sure they know how I am feeling so that a conflict doesn’t arise way after when it should have been previously handled.  Conflicts can be handled much more easily and quickly if the issue is resolved right after the fact. 

In order to be a better leader, I would need to make sure that my opinion is known.  Effective leaders cannot lead if they do not have any opinions or morals in which they stand by. 

-Caitlin L.

No comments:

Post a Comment