Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Communication - Cathy

During our class last Friday, I found out that my communication style is Collaborating Owl and my back-up style is Compromising Fox. This is pretty much what I expected. A lot of times, I feel strongly about my own opinion, but I also realize that others feel strongly about their opinion, so I don't always want to make people go along with what I say. I can recognize that they probably have valid points as well, so if we put our ideas together, it will be even better than what either of us could do on our own.
When it comes to communication, my greatest strength is that I try to be very considerate of the other person's feelings and remain as polite as possible, instead of being demanding and accusatory. I also try to use neutral terms and approach the conflict from an objective angle. That way, the other person won't feel like they are being attacked, and they will be more likely to act more rationally and begin good dialogue about the problem. My greatest weakness is that sometimes I am a bit of an Avoiding Turtle if I am not comfortable with the person or I don't want to "rock the boat" if I think it might be unnecessary.
In order to communicate better with my Summit team, I could make sure that I am being open about concerns I have very early, instead of avoiding them to the point where they become big problems. I haven't had an issue so far but I don't rule out the possibility since we are only 2 months in so far. Also, we could try to meet and delegate responsibilities so all of us know the expectations up front. In handling and resolving conflict, I could just make sure that I am trying to keep an open mind to other people's suggestions and just be honest all the time so it doesn't lead to miscommunication.

No comments:

Post a Comment