Sunday, December 9, 2012

Accomplishing So Much More than I Thought I Would!



Volunteering at C.A.R.E. this semester has been a great, eye-opening experience.  Before I started volunteering at C.A.R.E., I had the initial expectation that I was going to be walking dogs, feeding animals, and cleaning.  At C.A.R.E., I do these things, but through volunteering, I have learned and gained many things beyond those simple tasks. 


The heart breaking stories and places where the animals come from has helped me to gain a greater appreciation for those who fight animal cruelty, and even for my own pets at home.  Each animal that comes through C.A.R.E. has its own story, and each one is more surprising than the last.  I hope throughout life that I will take this greater appreciation with me and help others understand and have that same feeling


Also through volunteering at C.A.R.E., I have become more confident when working with animals.  Larger dogs scare me, and my first few weeks at the shelter were tough when having to walk the bigger dogs.  However, through continued practice and time I have gained more confidence when working with the larger dogs and even the smaller dogs.   Even despite claw scratchings from a few cats, I still have developed a better confidence when working with all of the animals. 


I think the largest accomplishment my group has made is not bringing home any animals with us.  Seeing new faces every week comes along with a round of “Can we take it home?”  to which we always have to say no.  However, I think each of us have become comfortable with the shelter and we know what tasks we have to accomplish and the best way to complete them.  The first few weeks of volunteering at the shelter required asking lots of questions and being shown how to do things.  But now we each have mastered the best ways to complete the tasks at the shelter and as soon as we get there, we can immediately know what to do and can be more time effective in getting the jobs done.  This allows more time to play with and get to know the animals better.


In the coming semester, we are planning to have more campus involved activities such as possibly having a clothing drive, a penny war, and even bring dogs to campus during finals.  We are hoping that because we have gotten more comfortable and confident when volunteering at the shelter, that we can focus more on promoting and creating events on Drury’s campus.  I am very excited to see what the next semester has in store for me and our group when volunteering at C.A.R.E., and I can’t wait.


-Caitlin Lauer

No comments:

Post a Comment