Monday, November 19, 2012

The Little Things Count



“I think leadership comes from integrity – that you do whatever you ask others to do. I think there are non-obvious ways to lead. Just by providing a good example as a parent, a friend, a neighbor makes it possible for other people to see better ways to do things. Leadership does not need to be a dramatic, fist in the air and trumpets blaring, activity.” - Scott Berkun
This is my favorite leadership quote because of how well it applies to me and my style of leadership.  I am not always a take charge kind of leader, but more of a follower.  However, I love this quote because it shows that leadership does not just apply to those who step and take charge in situations, but those that contribute in small and everyday ways.  Being a friend, someone who listens and cares, and setting a good example in everyday life are all great examples of showing leadership, and they don’t have to be over dramatic and big.  I also like how the quote emphasizes integrity because I think having the integrity to be who you are and to stick to your moral and ethical values in any situation is important.  College has made me question who I am and what I believe, but I am glad that I have had the experiences I have had because I would not have grown without them.
One thing I would say I have accomplished this semester on my Summit Project would be learning how to be a better and more effective leader in the way I described above.  When volunteering at the animal shelter, there is not a need for a take charge leader.  Instead, they need volunteers who can help out with everyday tasks such as feeding the cats and dogs, cleaning cages, walking the dogs, and other small tasks.  Doing these everyday tasks at times may be tedious, but they contribute to making the entire focus of the organization possible; making sure that the animals are cared for and that they are eventually placed in good and loving homes.  Through volunteering at the animal shelter, I have been able to expand and grow in my leadership abilities and help out with a great cause, and I hope to continually grow and learn in the coming semester.
-Caitlin Lauer

No comments:

Post a Comment